Forum index
General
Warsow's story and background from 1999 to 2005 - v0.4
Posted by
Post Scroll to bottom
SoLomonK

Founder
(2945 posts)

About me : being born in 1967, I belong to the earliest videogame generation. From 1996 to 2002, I wrote for various computer and videogame magazines : news, articles, many tests, walkthroughs, strategy guides.

From 1999 to 2001, I was writing a french e-novel named Chasseur de bots ("Bots hunter" in english - www.chasseurdebots.org). The story was taking place both IRL and inside a game (a MMOFPS called Warsow), main characters being coregamers.

In 2000, I discovered tricks jumps in quake 2, thanks to OZH, from www.frenchfragfactory.net, who made great tutorials demos of various q2 tricks jumps. It was like a Satori. I discovered a brand new and highly challenging game inside the game. Then, I knew that trix were the future of FPS.

In 2001, highly influenced by Jet Set Radio in the other hand, I started to write a short game design document, including wall jump and a basic system of acceleration. Main concept being a double public development, and a crossover between the game and the e-novel.

In early 2002, I joined www.halflifedesign.net, which was during those days a strong modding french community leaded by Ertai (I interviewed this nice guy few years ago for an article about modding) and started to recruit. So, the almost lonely quest became a complete new collective adventure. Months after months, grew up the first Warsow dream team, gathering talentuous (already professionnals, or in a good way to become it) french artists, around a pool of great co-leaders composed by Blemish (lead designer and lead mapper), Kurim and Pb (lead coders), Cedled (lead graphist), Dolbi and Pigfreezer (lead sounders). We quickly decided to make a standalone game instead of a mod, hesitated a long time about what engine to use. Finally, Quake 2 GPL was the best choice for us.

In mid 2003, we released a first "rough but already solid" alpha. This prototype was already featuring the main basics of the concept, but it was still golden age of Quake3 and CPMA, so we didn't really get attention. Finally, after all energy and time spent on warsow, many of our artists slowly started to get discouraged, or found a job, or came back to their studies. Anyway, I still miss all of them.

During 2004, Kurim and Blemish rebuilt from scratch all trix and moves of w§w, and they made too the double fire mode. Cedled, Nanabaky, Fallen_Angel and other artists remade almost all models, created a nice and clean outline, and enhanced in many ways the cartoonish look of the game. We were really satisfied by last improvements, but we had to migrate several times to last qfusion versions, which was each time huge extra work, in order to fix some bad stuff before being ready to release a new public version.

In spring 2005, 2 major events gave a big boost to the dev. 19th of April, we've been introduced on www.esreality.com by a simple gamer who, almost accidentally, found a link to an internal release in our public forum (this guy was ETR, and he joined the team as tester later). The topic on esreality got great feedback (http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=784540). Being introduced in a such neutral and spontanous way, on a such big coregamers community, helped a lot. Nobody but gamers, having nothing to sell but their cleverness, enthusiasm and spontaneity, can have better credibility and can be our best ambassadors. They got all the powers to bring a game to the top, or to ruin it. It sounds a bit rude but that's the rule, nothing else to do but to deal with it and keep on showing low-profile. By gamers - for gamers powa. Few days later, Giga-TV started to make a big promotion of the game. For the first time, we started to be supported by a real, strong and prolific community of hardcore gamers, having serious involvement in esport.

During the same days, Jal joined the team as coder. This spanish and highly experienced guy instantly showed deep involvement, great multi-skills, huge capacity of work, perfect knowledge of qfusion engine, and very nice personality. Since, many new members joined, coming from various countries of Europe, from Spain to Finland, and changing the french project into a real european project. Today, even if we still miss 3D and 2D artists, the core team features the best pool of programmers, strongly secunded by a good bunch of testers leaded by Nip. The team accomplished huge work in the next months and our code became one of the best features of the game. Warsow couldn't be in better hands =)
(updated 2013-03-30 12:03:27)

demu

(21 posts)

KoFFiE

(1898 posts)

You can even still download that "leaked" old version :D

Lst

(100 posts)

Warsow is like a huuge lubster

lokirulez
(1178 posts)

For all "old version" lovers I uploaded my original v0.4 Zip:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zp98y1

int_alpha_13_May_03b
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cm8i8a

gislan

(18 posts)

@SoLomoNK: Keep in mind that most of warsow fans does not speak french.
Come on man! We want "Chasseur de bots" translation! :D
I'd really love to read that.

Raelz

(1022 posts)

hmh nice and remember, there is still the future! :)

YoYoshi

(16 posts)

Nice... This week i had tell in a brazilian q2 forum about Warsow and a good number of players going to download this game! Cya

morcego

(4 posts)

good read. that's what games are about tho the mood all changed since 99'...Dunno for sure bro but I would bet high in this game (a truly well-succeeded e-novel).
Gl 4 ya.

loxer

(253 posts)

warsow got my attention with GIGA TV :)

(alpha 0.61 =)

xp0

(9 posts)

acid

(596 posts)

SoLomonK

Founder
(2945 posts)

acid wrote:

don't forget giga :)

Right, Acid ! Now it's fixed =)

eist

(93 posts)

eml

(292 posts)

Awesome read, nice!
I'd really like to see a translation of Chasseur de bots, I wish I knew french. :)

Great to see you posted something like this, since I didn't make the iview I proposed to you. :]

phonix^1

(1710 posts)

wow wsw started in '99 ??
but did it use Qfusion engine then?
cuz its compatible to q3 which came out later *confused*

hangy

Lord of the Board
(1735 posts)

There was no War§ow in 1999, the first alpha release was in 2003 and it was based on Q2 engine.

tigerchas

(948 posts)

This post could be put in the concept section of the website. Or the blog.

Heetlar

(114 posts)

gislan wrote:

@SoLomoNK: Keep in mind that most of warsow fans does not speak french.
Come on man! We want "Chasseur de bots" translation! :D
I'd really love to read that.

Translation
Within sight of the scores which had been posted during the loading of the play, the part had started since a good moment when the hero made irruption on the waiter. Nilstorm knew that very arrived late within a battle having already reached his rate/rhythm of cruising the player puts in situation of inferiority. Conscious of its vulnerability, it did not suspect however the large slap which awaited it. , by purest of the chances, having inopportunely landed in full battle field, in the beautiful medium of four surarmés and boosted warriors, it instantaneously was greeted by one striking down avalanche of missiles, and was reduced in ashes without very having the shade of a chance to outline the least movement.

45 SECONDS OF ROUTINE IN the HELL OF WAR§OW

"Ouch!!! Dumbs! Nilstorm loosened the jaw while grommelant. Hum... For the heating, one will see another time... "

It pressed on the key of shooting and materialized in a small water part, left rectangular alcove, embedded in the large cut stone rampart, and giving on the garden, which justified its name by the presence in its center of a basin and a mural fountain. Of start, it plunged at the bottom of the tank to collect one there limps of grenades of which it knew the site. Three seconds later, Nilstorm pointed its nose outside. There was nobody at the horizon, his first gesture was ruer in the center of the small court, in direction of the refill of shield (blue, at 100 points) which floated with a few centimetres of the ground. It left the half-light and sprang on the square. Vaguely anxious, bus not having out of pocket that its basic weapon and some grenades, the player briefly had evaluated the situation, then erected scaffolding several routes likely to lead it to a large firearm. For the hour, to tell the truth, to the least dispute, it did not give its skin expensive. Some share, inevitably not very far, in this handkerchief of pocket which holds place of arena, six other furious, obviously unconditional of the bazooka, were given some to cœur joy, leaping like demons and between-tearing in the most total jubilation, under a rain badgering with rockets, whose echo arrived without sorrow to the ears of Nilstorm. This shield did not constitute the no-claims bonus adapted best with which it could join the fray with dignity, but thanks to its long experiment of gamer, it knew that such an accessory did not have to be neglected.

With semi course, while it approached with great strides the object while throwing a blow œil on the line, towards the large gate which gives on the principal court, the profile of a gladiator cut out abruptly in the embrasure. This corner of the terrace was in the half-light, but the player identified instantaneously the type of weapon which its adversary held up: a heavy machine gun. Alarm! Large danger in sight! Such an amount of worse for the armour, it forked with 90 degrees and sank straight on the first shelter which presented at him, in fact, a low tunnel of ceiling, rather slightly enlightened. Already, the other, instinctively, sent mashed potaties. Nilstorm was more that with two or three meters of entry of corridor, it carried out large jump ahead, thanks to which he in extremis extirpated trajectory of a gust of extreme nails, which lamentably finishes its race on the wall of the tunnel, by simulating a cloud crépitante glares of rock.

The gallery formed an elbow a little later offering to the player in escape a temporary refuge. Nilstorm had the following reasoning: unless it is not cruelly wounded and in priority in the search of a no-claims bonus of health, the type was most probably thrown to its continuation. In front of him, a long portion of tunnel, without the least obstacle to safeguard itself. Not terrible. There is a rifle with plasma well, all at the end of the corridor, in top of the staircases carrying out to the broad balcony of the strengthened tower which dominates the principal court. With a little chance, it could reach the weapon and counteract. But its prosecutor had certainly made same calculation as him. In the court, when Nilstorm was completely exposed to the lighting of full moon, the other had probably immediately noted the absence of a truly dissuasive weapon between its hands. The hero stopped Net and made half-turn abruptly. Facing the angle of the corridor that it had just crossed, while moving back of some strides, it armed a grenade, awaited some split seconds, and, trusting the noise of the steps of the warrior, roughly launched the arm to the horizontal one. After a fall in light curve, the small deadly weapon rebounded on the ground. At the same time, the assaillan T spouts out in the field. It was into full in the axis and did not even have time to take the least initiative. The grenade, with the second rebound, mowed the legs to him and exploded instantaneously. Scraps of flesh flew to the four corners of the corridor.

"Hold! Eat your teeth! "

Nilstorm exultait, its perso pushed a short war cry by holding up the fist. This kind of blow makes a success of once on ten. If the gladiator had marked the least pause before engaging in the second part of the corridor, if it had not remained in the beautiful medium of the alley, it could easily have beaten promptly reprocesses some, or have made a variation and have thwarted the trap without undergoing the least damage. But it had supposed a little too quickly passivity of its prey. Result, in the center of a pool of blood which constituted the largest trace of its former owner, the machine-gun tightened the arms with Nilstorm. Obviously, it seized some at once.

The businesses do not arise too badly, thought it. An adversary humiliated by a good old man kill with the hand grenade (they is always very râlant to be made have by a process also antiquated and also random), the quite concrete reward which this rotary machine-gun represented with which the charger is almost full, a still intact level of health, in short, there is what to be optimistic for the continuation of the events. At least, it is what it believed.

TO BE CONTINUED

IM NEVER USING BABEL FISH AGAAAAIIIIN!!!!!!

sepht

(1275 posts)

I just tried something amusing myself, I took the original post of this thread into google translator, then translated it to french, and then back to english, just to see if it really messed it up that bad!

About me: being 38, I belong to the generation of video game earliest. From 1996 to 2002, I wrote for various stores of computer and video game: news, articles, much of tests, walkthroughs, guides of strategy.

From 1999 to 2001, I wrote a French E-novel called Chasseur of club-footed (“hunter the Club-footed ones� in English - www.chasseurdebots.org). The history took place the two IRL and interior a play (Warsow called by MMOFPS), principal characters being coregamers.

In 2000, I discovered jumps of turns in tremor 2, thanks to OZH, of www.frenchfragfactory.net, which made great demonstrations of course of instruction of various jumps of the turns q2. It was like Satori. I discovered the new and strongly provocative play inside the play. Then, I knew that the trix were the future of FPS.

In 2001, strongly influenced close travelling out of jet the overall radio in the other hand, I started to write a document court of design of play, including the jump of wall and a basic system of acceleration. Principal concept being a double public development, and a crossing enters the play and the E-novel. At the beginning of 2002, I joined www.halflifedesign.net, which was during these days a French community modding strong leaded by Ertai (I interviewed this nice type few years ago for an article relating to modding) and started to recruit. Thus, almost isolated research became a new complete collective adventure. The months after months, grew the first rêveuse team of Warsow, collecting (already professionnals, or in a good manners to become it) the French artists talentuous, around a group of large Co-chiefs composed by the defect (originator of wire and cartographer of wire), Kurim and Pb (coders of wire), Cedled (graphist of wire), Dolbi and Pigfreezer (sounders of wire). We decided quickly to make an autonomous play instead of a MOD, hesitated in the long run about which engine to be used. In conclusion, 2 tremble that the LPG was the choice more adapted for us.

In mid 2003, we released first “approximate but already full� alpha. This prototype comprised already the principal foundations of the concept, but it was still golden age of Quake3 and from CPMA, thus we did not really obtain the attention. In conclusion, after all the energy and hour spent on the warsow, several of our artists started slowly to obtain discouraged, or to found a work, or returned to their studies. At all events, I always miss all.

During 2004, Kurim and defect rebuilt starting from the zero all trix and movements of w§w, and they made too much the double mode of fire. Cedled, Nanabaky, Fallen_Angel and other artists remade almost all models, created a nice and clean contour, and increased by many manners the glance of cartoonish of the play. We were really satisfied by last improvements, but we had to emigrate several times at last versions of qfusion, which was each time an enormous additional work, in order to fix a certain bad substance before being ready to release a new public version.

To spring 2005, 2 principal events gave a great push to the realizer. on April 19, we were introduced on www.esreality.com by a simple gamer which, almost accidentally, found a bond with an internal release in our public forum (this type was ETR, and it joined the team like testing device later). The matter on the esreality obtained great feedback (http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=784540). Being presented in such a neutral manner and spontanous, on such a great community of coregamers, helped much. Nobody but the gamers, not having anything to be sold but their skill, fills with enthusiasm and spontaneousness, cannot have a better credibility and can be our best ambassadors. It obtained all powers to bring a play to the top, or to ruin it. It resounds a little coarse but it is the rule, nothing with differently making but treating and to continue to him to show low-profiles. By gamers - for the powa of gamers. Few days later, Giga-TV started to make a great promotion of the play. For the first time, we started to be supported by true, strong and prolific community of the unconditional gamers, having the serious participation in the esport.

During the same days, JAL joined the team as coder. These Spaniard and strongly tested type immediately showed the major participation, great multi-competences, the enormous capacity of work, the perfect knowledge of the engine of qfusion, and the very nice personality. Since, much of new members joined, coming from various countries of Europe, Spain to Finland, and to change the French project into true European project. Today, even if we always are bored 3D and of 2D artists, the team of core comprises the best swimming pool of the programmers, secunded strongly by a good group of testing devices leaded by point of contact. The enormous work achieved by team in following months and our code became one of the best devices of the play. Warsow could not be in a better smile of hands

Not that bad!

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2014 Chasseur De Bots

Warsow in social media

Warsow is an indie game developed by group of hobbyists. Please consider giving us a small donation: