There are currently 54 players online.

Warsow

back[MOD] xmove

Posted by
Post Scroll to bottom
extone

(129 posts)

here is my new mod with experimental physics =)
this time I took some features from iwsw mode in a way to be compatible with common wsw experience so it could be more interesting for usual wsw players
As before I kept only one physics class but tried to make it compatible with 'oldmovement' and at least the same beneficial as 'newmovement' so both types of players could find it satisfying

how it works:

when 'pure' strafe is pressed it will give you the same aerocontrol as 'oldmovement' but dislike basewsw if you're just pressing strafe without moving mouse instead of getting stuck (common situation on jumpads) you will get normal intuitive acceleration

when 'pure' forward is pressed it works in the same way as aerocontrol (decreased) in iwsw mode and disregard of by what key you're getting your acceleration you will always getting 'blank' acceleration to 650 ups and then much slower up to 1300 ups, if you getting higher acceleration from strafe jumping or buny hopping blank acceleration will not be applied so it gives benefit only to people who dont know how to use sj or bh

like in iwsw +special on ground with speed less then 300 ups will crouch you, so to get dash you need to speed up first, to compensate delay I increased speed of dash to 525 ups
increased crouchspeed from 100 to 200 ups
double jumps like in iwsw - you need to press dash in air in fisrt 100 ms of jump, it will cost you 1.5 walljumps + 1.5 dashes
smooth switch from accel to deccel, increased airdeccel to 4

you can also doublejump at any time during ramp sliding by pressing just +special (+moveup doesnt matter)
increased seldamage rate from 0.5 to 0.9 for gunblade, otherwise new djs would be worthless
as in iwsw MG has cylindrical spread (meaning not depending on distance)
as in iwsw minimum speed of teleport exiting is 500 ups

I'm thinking about adding 2 movement features disabled by default and possible to enable by GT scripting, if will be interesting for somebody:
crouchsliding and flying - both on +special

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102271334/xmove.zip

to test mode extract xmode.zip into your wsw folder (you should have 'xmode' folder together with 'basewsw') and start wsw by xmode_xx.bat on windows or xmode.sh on linux

MagusZero
Chaotician
(1862 posts)

If I remember, I'll try this when I get home. Sounds like it could be interesting.

slowi

the guy with very low sens
(1283 posts)

i can't for the love of god remember what the fuck iwsw was and can barely understand anything this mod changes. except that u can't start with a dash (?!)
will try it tomorrow

btw, why do ppl mess with the movement ? :/ it's pretty much perfect as it is.
i would rather see some cool weapons n shit, crossbows, AK47s(:D), whatever

MagusZero
Chaotician
(1862 posts)

slowi, you just said ak47 as something you'd want to see in warsow. I now hate you.

thelawenforcer

dramallama
(4274 posts)

interesting stuff. do you use irc?

extone

(129 posts)

thelawenforcer wrote:
do you use irc?

no

slowi

the guy with very low sens
(1283 posts)

MagusZero wrote:
slowi, you just said ak47 as something you'd want to see in warsow. I now hate you.

was just an example of some new weapon, i don't mind you hating me though, since i have no fucking idea who you are and have never seen you ingame etc :) feel free to hate!

thelawenforcer

dramallama
(4274 posts)

extone wrote:
thelawenforcer wrote:
do you use irc?

no

shame, whats your email address?

extone

(129 posts)

thelawenforcer wrote:
extone wrote:
thelawenforcer wrote:
do you use irc?

no

shame, whats your email address?

pavkudr(at)gmail.com

UrLossMyGain

AFF Level 4 ✓
(437 posts)

For some odd reason I would love to see a flamethrower of sorts in Warsow...

thelawenforcer

dramallama
(4274 posts)

Extone suggested I post the ideas I'd been discussing with him here so here goes...

I understand that to a hardcore community like warsow they may sound like blasphemy but whatever.

The idea is to make a very powerful, acrobatic and personalisable movement system, that has a high skill ceiling but is also very easy to start using.

1. Remove strafe acceleration.
2. Jump becomes a jet pack of sorts with very low stamina but reasonable impulse thrust.
3. +special allows you to slide on floors, but also on walls. When sliding on a wall, releasing +special will initiate a wall jump.

In many ways its similar to tribes (albeit massively scaled down) and with the wall sliding and wall jump.

I hope that I will be able to cobble something together to try these ideas out sometime soonish. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome :-)

MagusZero
Chaotician
(1862 posts)

So you want to go from 'easier quake' to 'harder tribes'

Law, I just don't see that working.

VectorVanDoom
(updated Today 13:37)
(2186 posts)

personalisable

where does that come into play?

extone

(129 posts)

thelawenforcer wrote:

1. Remove strafe acceleration.

if you have dash and 'blank' air acceleration it's not necessary since gives very minor advantage but has good feeling

thelawenforcer wrote:

2. Jump becomes a jet pack of sorts with very low stamina but reasonable impulse thrust.

you want to completely remove 'constant jumping' as a way to maintain high speed? do you want then increase ground speed?

thelawenforcer wrote:

3. +special allows you to slide on floors, but also on walls. When sliding on a wall, releasing +special will initiate a wall jump.

I see it as combinations of 2 features: crouch sliding on ground and sticky walls when every wall will behave as ladder or water or something mixed, and when both features are enabled you will be able to slide on walls also. Though cant imaging what kind of animation could be used for it =)

right now I see my mod more like physics improvement over existing system but if you want to do such a drastic changes you should provide more detailed view on it e.g. in numbers

thelawenforcer

dramallama
(4274 posts)

Magus - based on what?

Vector - that was indeed probably a bad choice of words. What I meant was that such a system would probably result in more freedom and possibilities meaning that players will be able to develop much more personal and unique styles. In warsow everyone pretty much moves the same.

Extone - the way I imagine it is that players will use combinations of jet pack and sliding to maintain momentum. My interest is less in having players zoom around a map really fast but rather the original warsow vision of 'the art of movement'.

I will be home on Saturday night and will start looking at numbers then. I will modify dash at first in order to get good feeling for jetpack 'pulse thrust' then look at the ground friction for sliding and the wall friction (you shouldn't be able to slide along a wall indefinitely without losing height). As for the animation I think the first frame of the wall jump animation will work as a placeholder.

MagusZero
Chaotician
(1862 posts)

After thinking about it a bit longer, I've realized that I might like your wall slide idea actually... but it'd be hard to get it right. Jetpacking however....... no, I can't accept that at all.

I think the ideal way would be just between xan's concept and yours, law. I'd think you'd want your 'wallslide' to perform like a slightly more exaggerated wallrun than mirror's edge. You might also want to make sure the current walljump mechanic is preserved when the button is pressed and released fast enough. I could also imagine +special in the air performing something very much like the current dash, allowing for a quick directional change.

With all that, we'd gain some distance from both tribes AND quake, while still having fast movement and a relatively simple system: +special does all the unique movement stuff.

What we don't want to be is 'tribes with wallslides' or perhaps even 'quake with walljump' anymore. Being some other game with a single gimmick isn't a good way to go (though I do realize the movement would be more like painkiller with just +forward accel)

I personally really enjoy the game as it is, so what I'm essentially saying is, "If you want to do something new, make sure its actually new'

extone

(129 posts)

MagusZero wrote:
You might also want to make sure the current walljump mechanic is preserved when the button is pressed and released fast enough.

I think it would be to tricky to perform in game. I would rather split it into 2 situations:
when angle of player's velocity to wall normal is lower then 45 then do normal walljump
when angle is higher 45 (up to 90) then do wall sliding converting whole momentum into velocity along wall
MagusZero wrote:

I could also imagine +special in the air performing something very much like the current dash, allowing for a quick directional change.

thought about it doing iwsw mod but decided it would be excessive/rarely used =)

thelawenforcer

dramallama
(4274 posts)

I think its possible to have both. my intention originally was that if you just press '+special' as you approach a wall you will perform a walljump in basicly the same way as happens currently. if you hold +special you will slide along the wall no matter what. when your release +special a normal walljump in initiated.

as for the different behaviors depending on the approach angle, i think it would be best to have a standard behavior and the way the slide works depending on the angle at which you hit the wall. the angle at which you hit the wall should just have an effect on how much horizontal momentum you carry along the wall. if you hit the wall at 90^ you will have 0 horizontal momentum (but you will still slide downwards) if you hit it at 1^ you will maintain 99% percent of your horizontal momentum. however, there will need to be a 'slide' friction constant, so that sliding doesnt indefinately conserve momentum.

@magus - i am just trying to prototype some stuff atm. if its worth developping further, i will try and do that. the end goal would indeed to have something that can standalone.

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2014 Chasseur De Bots

Warsow in social media

Warsow is an indie game developed by group of hobbyists. Please consider giving us a small donation: