Blog
Looking for Ubuntu packaging gurus.
Posted by
Post Scroll to bottom
crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

Hello everyone.

Since Playdeb is down for good, and it sucks not having proper .debs for easy installation on Ubuntu, I'm looking for some community help with this to setup some kind of semi-automatic packaging of Ubuntu .debs (Why not Debian too..).

If you're willing to help, mail me (crizis@warsow.net) or msg me at IRC (Quakenet, #warsow) if you have experience with .deb building, how the process goes and what needs to be done etc etc.

Thanks.

mute

(88 posts)

Okay. It is a chance for me to do something really serious for the community tho :)

What is the requirements for the builds? Debian & Ubuntu versions?

UrLossMyGain

AFF Level 4 ✓
(437 posts)

Hey Crizis! I'd like to post this on the OMG! Ubuntu! G+ page, but I'd like to get your permission on it first. I'll link right the post and Warsow's home page. Thanks in advance!
(updated 2013-02-02 03:56:32)

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

UrLossMyGain wrote:
Hey Crizis! I'd like to post this on the OMG! Ubuntu! G+ page, but I'd like to get your permission on it first. I'll link right the post and Warsow's home page. Thanks in advance!

go ahead :)

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

mute wrote:
Okay. It is a chance for me to do something really serious for the community tho :)

What is the requirements for the builds? Debian & Ubuntu versions?

I'm not looking to get someone to do builds, I'm looking someone to teach me proper .deb packaging and possibly help writing some automated scripts for this so we could maintain Ubuntu and Debian packages without outsiders :)

VectorVanDoom
(updated Today 13:37)
(2191 posts)

why not let someone else do the chores, if they want to? you can still oversee it, four eyes see more than two.

i recommend to use ppa, like e.g. firefox, unless you wanna host your own repo when theres really no need for.
so i started reading https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging
so far i gathered that a source dep has to be uploaded to launchpad and it gets compiled in vms for different machines and releases, using some recipes. sounds pretty nifty. the sources and data need to be uploaded as packages. works from commandline so ofc it can be scripted.
see http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/, too.

at least launchpad wont go down as long as ubuntu is alive :)
(updated 2013-02-02 15:59:09)

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

What I wanted, exactly, was multiarch .deb which includes both 32/64bit Warsow binaries, since our 'warsow' bash script already autodetects arch and launches correct binary, there's just no need to separate these or bug user about architecture at all. Just a single .deb which installs the debs (+ adds PPA, if possible).

VectorVanDoom
(2191 posts)

installing a .deb, e.g. with dpkg, while depending on packages and expecting updates is simply bad practice for several reasons.

guess you could have a single .deb, just to add a PPA, but thats rather uncommon.

if you have a repo/PPA, you most likely need to address different archs, anyway, and then you go and serve the same file for all. guess thats one way to do it, i dont know definately.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

That's what Chrome/Steam do at least, single .deb which adds repository for updates.

UrLossMyGain

AFF Level 4 ✓
(437 posts)

Here ya go Crizis, posted in the gaming section, if you'd like to check it out go right ahead :D

OMG! Ubuntu! on Google+

UrLossMyGain

AFF Level 4 ✓
(437 posts)

I was just informed that PlayDeb is back up 0_o

Warsow on PlayDeb

Also there's some asking for the game to be added to the official Software Center repos if that's possible. It would broadcast the game to even more too.
(updated 2013-02-03 21:53:50)

VectorVanDoom
(2191 posts)

warsow was afaik and possibly still is in ubuntu's multivers repo, but always an outdated version. because its pollicy to not update versions that ship with each specific release, except for security fixes or through backport (PPA).
(updated 2013-02-04 16:57:05)

AapoRantalainen
(1 posts)

I made scripts for helping developer to release Warsow in PPA.

For Developer
0) One time. Register to the Launchpad. Create PPA (Personal package
archive). (Ask bigger size for PPA, default is 2GB.)

#download sourcecode and datafiles
wget -O warsow_1.02_unified.tar.gz http://www.warsow.net/download?dl=linux102
wget -O warsow_1.02_sdk.tar.gz http://www.warsow.net/download?dl=sdk102

#unpack and create structure
tar xvf warsow_1.02_unified.tar.gz
tar xvf warsow_1.02_sdk.tar.gz
cp -r warsow_1.02/basewsw warsow_1.02_sdk
cp warsow_1.02/docs/* warsow_1.02_sdk/docs

#download debianization (one directory named debian)
cd warsow_1.02_sdk
wget -r -nH --cut-dirs=2 --no-parent --reject="index.html*" -e
robots=off http://cc.oulu.fi/~rantalai/warsow_ubuntu_packaging/debian
#tune debian/changelog. use same email address than pgp assigned to the PPA

#create debian-sourcepackage
debuild -S -sa
#upload it to the builder using correct ppa-address and correct file
EXAMPLE:
dput ppa:aapo-rantalainen/warsow ../warsow_1.02-2_source.changes

For another Ubuntu-release, tune changelog, recreate sourcepackage, upload.

After uploading you will get email with status ACCEPTED=build is now in queue, REJECTED=something went wrong, reupload (most commonly you used same or lower version number. Or 2GB disk quote is full). If (couple of hours later) building fails, you will get email and link to the build log. If building succeeded, you will not get notification. Wait till all architectures (32bit/64bit) are built and then packages goes to the repository.

If you want test compiling locally, after downloading everything, run:

fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

User
0) once: Add new repository (that PPA) to the package manager using
graphical tools or commandline.
1) Install package warsow using package manager (which then installs
everything needed)
2) update when new warsow-package comes.
(User never sees any deb-files. This is one point of having repositories.)

EXAMPLE:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:aapo-rantalainen/warsow
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install warsow

My testing repository contains Warsow-1.02-5 for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), feel free to test installation and report issues.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4551 posts)

Thanks, I'll test this asap :)

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2014 Chasseur De Bots

Warsow in social media

Warsow is an indie game developed by group of hobbyists. Please consider giving us a small donation: