Posted by
adem

Группа ВКонтакте vk.com/wsw_ru
(2017 posts)

learn_more

(3476 posts)

Svenstaro

(2 posts)

Hey, I'm the maintainer of the warsow package in Arch Linux. You are making my job rather hard by not simply providing a full build of 1.03. I would like to kindly ask you guys to provide a full build for each patch that you provide. It's only 500 MB to host, so it's certainly entirely reasonable. You can't expect downstream packagers to look out for incremental patches on some alternative HTTP server in order for them to update the packages for their users.

Please just give us a full build each time.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

TheSgtBilko

(24 posts)

Svenstaro wrote:
Hey, I'm the maintainer of the warsow package in Arch Linux. You are making my job rather hard by not simply providing a full build of 1.03. I would like to kindly ask you guys to provide a full build for each patch that you provide. It's only 500 MB to host, so it's certainly entirely reasonable. You can't expect downstream packagers to look out for incremental patches on some alternative HTTP server in order for them to update the packages for their users.

Please just give us a full build each time.

Isn't it supposed to autoupdate the datafiles within the game when you connect to a server?

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

hettoo

(121 posts)

There are also many players who will start a local game when they first launch the game and it would be nice if they could have the latest version to begin with. I estimate most linux users install Warsow through their package manager.

Also consider that packages in those repositories will be flagged out of date by users, which is annoying for maintainers if the full thing is not readily available.
In this case this guy is maintaining over 200 packages. It would not be reasonable if he had to do this by going through all kinds of alternative update methods, right?

If it is not too much work (just zipping?), I think the download page should at least contain an official update package to the latest version.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

Update zip is doable.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

Anyway, doubt we'll do any 1.0x releases or packagings anymore, all of our little manresources will go to finalizing 1.1/1.5, that'll be good milestone to think about update methods through a bit.

At least in the future updates from server will be much less of a pain in the ass as 1.1 has built-in http server to deliver fast downloads from all servers without external http mirrors.

byce
(113 posts)

crizis wrote:
finalizing 1.1/1.5

What is this? Blog time!

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

Matt
(5 posts)

Updated the openSUSE games binary and data package. Sorry that it took so long, but as Svenstaro already stated, you are not really Linux packaging friendly. There are no source tarballs or public git repositories. Just a > 50 MB SDK which consists mostly of Win32 binaries. Also it is really hard to find all the files, because you don't have a full 1.03 ZIP nor do your update servers allow browsing directories.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4499 posts)

you're not supposed to repackage the game for minor updates still, servers offer updated pk3's to players automatically as needed...

hettoo

(121 posts)

hettoo wrote:
There are also many players who will start a local game when they first launch the game and it would be nice if they could have the latest version to begin with. I estimate most linux users install Warsow through their package manager.

Also consider that packages in those repositories will be flagged out of date by users, [...]

In short, package managers are supposed to (and should) provide the latest version of an application whenever possible. Please stop telling them how to do their jobs.

crizis wrote:
Update zip is doable.

Apparently this was too much work, so I wrote a little script which does what the server autoupdate does:
#!/bin/sh

VERSION=1.0
UPDATE_URL=http://update.warsow.net/autoupdate/$VERSION
FILELIST=filelist.txt

wget `wget -q -O - $UPDATE_URL/$FILELIST | sed -n "s#^[0-9]* \+#$UPDATE_URL/#p"`

Just start with any 1.0 full release and run this from its basewsw directory (need to change at least VERSION in the future of course).
(updated 2013-12-24 17:33:35)

Vic

(5314 posts)

Repackaging for 3 different arch's and mirroring is too much work for me indeed.

Matt
(5 posts)

Auto-update did not work for me. Probably because Warsow tried to download into /usr/something/warsow without root or the server did not want to provide them to me. I just got "purity check error" or similar. Tested my new RPMs on an official server and could join without any errors or downloads. We also already persuaded other Quake derivatives like http://www.urbanterror.info/downloads/ to have full update ZIPs for repackaging although they also have an updater and you can grab stuff from the game servers.

Vic

(5314 posts)

Probably because Warsow tried to download into /usr/something/warsow

Unlikely. Warsow only writes into your home dir.

hasufell
(16 posts)

crizis wrote:
you're not supposed to repackage the game for minor updates still, servers offer updated pk3's to players automatically as needed...

Ok... so we are not supposed to repackage gcc, glibc and coreutils for every minor update? Because... maybe it will get updated properly outside of the package manager and not break users systems during that process? (yeah, I am exaggerating... but we do not rely on auto-updaters EVER, because that has nothing to do with packaging)

Besides... what about people who run a dedicated server (without the client even installed) and need those pk3 files to properly update?

learn_more

(3476 posts)

hasufell wrote:
crizis wrote:

Ok... so we are not supposed to repackage gcc, glibc and coreutils for every minor update? Because... maybe it will get updated properly outside of the package manager and not break users systems during that process? (yeah, I am exaggerating... but we do not rely on auto-updaters EVER, because that has nothing to do with packaging)

Besides... what about people who run a dedicated server (without the client even installed) and need those pk3 files to properly update?

that you want to repackage everything for your dist does not mean everyone feels like maintaining his packages for 30000 different obscure distributions.
some people do not like packaging stuff you know...

Vic

(5314 posts)

dedicated servers autoupdate themselves too

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2014 Chasseur De Bots

Warsow in social media

Warsow is an indie game developed by group of hobbyists. Please consider giving us a small donation: