There are currently 47 players online.

Warsow

back[MOD/GT] Racesow

Posted by
Post Scroll to bottom
A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

Racesow - A warsow mod tailored to better warsow racing. Includes numerous physics improvements and a vastly improved gametype for racing.

Follow and help with the development here:
Mod source - racesow
Gametype / data source - racesow-data

Most of you know the features available in the current 1.0 racesow, so I'm only going to give the changelog moving forward to 1.4. The list may or may not be up to date, if in doubt check github!

Revamped Auth Structure
An entirely new auth mechanism with vastly improved security, responsiveness, and features. Currently none of the test servers have this active, I'll post more details we start registering users. This is by far the biggest change to racesow, no more enormous SQL queries written in multiple cvars to avoid char limits (whose brilliant idea was that :S).

General physics changes
Specfly / noclip movement has been altered. By holding +special with a movement key in noclip you accelerate up to a topspeed of 10k ups. If you hold +special without a movement key, you will slowly decelerate. If you hold a movement key without +special you will accelerate to 450ups or maintain your current speed, letting go of all keys instantly stops you.

Ramps no longer randomly clip your speed! If you are moving into a ramp, you will keep speed. If you land on a ramp, you will gain speed. Ceiling ramps are currently unaffected and these changes are still alpha stage with some side-effect bugs.

Teleporters will no longer randomly clip your speed, even with very thin teleport triggers. You will always keep speed on exiting a teleporter.

Walljump height limit has been lowered from 18 units to 9 units, making it possible to walljump much closer to the ground when landing near the bottom of a wall.

Automatic Demo Recording
rs_autoRaceDemo will automatically record your race demos. Use rs_autoRaceDemo -2 to save every finished race, -1 to save every personal best, 0 to disable, a number greater than 0 to keep the best N records per map. IE. rs_autoRaceDemo 5 will automatically delete the worst demos in your autodemo folder for that map and only keep the top 5.

Autorecorded demos don't stop when you finish the race, but when you respawn. This helps the demo capture the reported race time.

Improved raceghosts
The cg_raceghosts / cg_raceghostsalpha cvars now affect other players and their projectiles. We've also added a cg_raceghostsvolume that affects the noises from other players.

More stable weapon physics
Weapon splash now falls off more slowly around the explosion origin, but faster farther away. This creates a 'deadzone' of a few units where you get the same knockback even if you are not exactly on the explosion. However, if you are more than a few units off it will feel the same as before.

This is intended to help minimize ping and luck effects in weapon tricking. This has been a bit controversial, so some numbers might help. At 1k ups, you move about 17 units per game frame. This means an explosion one frame early can decrease your knockback by around 15% depending on the weapon. With this update, your knockback would only decrease by about 3%. However if you are 3-4 frames off, your knockback would decrease by about 50-70% in both cases.

Weaponswitch
cg_weaponautoswitch works on any pickup event, not just trigger_gives. Also you can set cg_weaponautoswitch 3 to switch on every pickup.

Practicemode Changes
Timer and checkpoints work in practicemode to help compare different routes for a section of the map.

The 'give' command works in practicemode.

Position Command Changes
A 'prerace' subcommand has been added to the 'position' command. It will save your location and inventory to respawn with. The command will only work if you are in the prerace state and are on the ground with 0ups. This is to make mega timeskip maps (wrace1) less frustrating.

Callvote system
AFK players are now ignored in callvotes.

There are lots of other changes tiny changes and improvements that I can't seem to remember atm, so I'll update this as my memory returns. There are some 1.4 public test servers, but please treat these like nightly builds. They will be unstable and have random featuresets for the time being :D.

Finally, any feedback is welcome!
Mod source - racesow
Gametype / data source - racesow-data

EDIT:
Updated with info on the teleport and wj changes in general physics section.
Updated with Autodemo, practicemode, and position save changes.
Updated with callvote changes.
(updated 2014-04-08 20:10:00)

RiFo

(225 posts)

A_Pink_Name wrote:

General physics changes
Ramps no longer randomly clip your speed! If you are moving into a ramp, you will keep speed. If you land on a ramp, you will gain speed. Ceiling ramps are currently unaffected and these changes are still alpha stage with some side-effect bugs.

Improved raceghosts
The cg_raceghosts / cg_raceghostsalpha cvars now affect other players and their projectiles. We've also added a cg_raceghostsvolume that affects the noises from other players.

More stable weapon physics
Weapon splash now falls off more slowly around the explosion origin, but faster farther away. This creates a 'deadzone' of a few units where you get the same knockback even if you are not exactly on the explosion. However, if you are more than a few units off it will feel the same as before.

This is intended to help minimize ping and luck effects in weapon tricking. This has been a bit controversial, so some numbers might help. At 1k ups, you move about 17 units per game frame. This means an explosion one frame early can decrease your knockback by around 15% depending on the weapon. With this update, your knockback would only decrease by about 3%. However if you are 3-4 frames off, your knockback would decrease by about 50-70% in both cases.

Weaponswitch
cg_weaponautoswitch works on any pickup event, not just trigger_gives. Also you can set cg_weaponautoswitch 3 to switch on every pickup.

All of this is awesome. Good job guys!

Swee4T
r_Swee4T
(53 posts)

Ye finally - thanks again pink!
All of these changes sound great !
Cant wait to play :)

RiFo

(225 posts)

A_Pink_Name wrote:

General physics changes

Teleporters will no longer randomly clip your speed, even with very thin teleport triggers. You will always keep speed on exiting a teleporter.

Walljump height limit has been lowered from 18 units to 9 units, making it possible to walljump much closer to the ground when landing near the bottom of a wall.

Also very needed and awesome!

adem

still alive
(2642 posts)

rorgoroth wrote:

download wsw1.4rc and play :b

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

adem wrote:
download wsw1.4rc and play :b

For the record, the Racesow test servers may or may not be stable at any given time. But everyone is welcome to hop on and leave us feedback!.
(updated 2014-04-06 16:26:29)

rorgoroth

(42 posts)

I didn't know there was any 1.4 race servers up D:
I tried 1.4 whenever I commented on that release thread last and nothing came up for me in race tab and the other tabs/modes were pretty grim looking too obv :P

I guess I download 1.4 again tomorrow night and keep it around ;)

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

Timer and checkpoints work in practicemode to help compare different routes for a section of the map.

The 'give' command works in practicemode.

A 'prerace' subcommand has been added to the 'position' command. It will save your location and inventory to respawn with. The command will only work if you are in the prerace state and are on the ground with 0ups. This is to make mega timeskip maps (wrace1) less frustrating.

rs_autoRaceDemo will automatically record your race demos. Use rs_autoRaceDemo -2 to save every finished race, -1 to save every personal best, 0 to disable, a number greater than 0 to keep the best N records per map. IE. rs_autoRaceDemo 5 will automatically delete the worst demos in your autodemo folder for that map and only keep the top 5.

Autorecorded demos don't stop when you finish the race, but when you respawn. This helps the demo capture the reported race time.

EDIT:
AFK players are ignored in callvotes, unless they have already voted.
(updated 2014-04-08 20:08:55)

RiFo

(225 posts)

A_Pink_Name wrote:

What defines someone as afk? merely being in spec, or inactivity for x seconds?
Btw, every warsow server needs that feature.

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

RiFo wrote:
A_Pink_Name wrote:

What defines someone as afk? merely being in spec, or inactivity for x seconds?
Btw, every warsow server needs that feature.

You have to be inactive for `g_inactivity_maxtime` seconds (default 90). This means no input, even opening console will mark you as active again.

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

A US and SE test server are up and fully functional now with a temporary beta database.

Register
========

Register an account with

register <usenname> <password> <email>

If the register is successful, you should be logged in and will automatically be logged in on reconnects.

Login
=====
If you do need to login, you can use

login <username> <password>

On reconnects, you will automatically login with the last used credentials

Maplist
=======
Maplist supports searching by regex and filtering by map tags, use 'help maplist' for details. Here are some examples:

Show page 5 of all maps
maplist 5

Show page 1 of maps whose name starts with bardok
maplist ^bardok 1

Show page 1 of maps tagged with 'rl' and 'slick'
maplist . rl slick 1

Ignore Players in chat and privsay
==================================
To ignore all messages from a specific player, use '\players' to find the playernumber of the player you want to ignore. Then use '\block num' to block the player. You can unblock the player by repeating the command. Use '\block' with no arguments to list all players you currently have blocked.

Rampfix is out of experimental now and available on the Beta servers, have fun!

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4784 posts)

btw it would be nice if racesow used warsow.net accounts with single-sign on as login. or at least supported that.

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

crizis wrote:
btw it would be nice if racesow used warsow.net accounts with single-sign on as login. or at least supported that.

When I looked over the mm implementation, I didn't see any way for the gameserver to identify a client, only the MM server seems to do that. It only knows a clients "cl_mm_session", which I understood to be a session id not a user id. Without a user id, we can't add most of our DB related features like nick protection and admin commands.

There were some other reasons I remember thinking about, but this was the one that didn't have a workaround.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4784 posts)

Yes, that's obvious decision for security standpoint.

That's why I said single-sign-on :) (You only authenticate against our login api and do the rest like you already do now)

A_Pink_Name

Delicious Penguin
(117 posts)

Spoke @IRC about this, looks like there's very little that would need to be done for us to connect these. How do the racers feel about using your Warsow accounts w/ racesow. It wouldn't change anything about gameplay or our stats, just means you auth and login with the warsow account here. I'm all for it!

Vic

Your former Warsow overlord
(5784 posts)

Obvious F1 to this even though I'm not a racer :P

VectorVanDoom
(updated Today 13:37)
(2214 posts)

if you do that, a prominent link from e.g. the frontpage to racesow would be good to show the affiliation

Mef!sto

(754 posts)

i think that would be handy especially for newcomers
mebe this opens the oportunity for some basice race stats on the wswnet profile?
atleast there had to be some hint where to find ur race stats or smtn like that

RiFo

(225 posts)

A_Pink_Name wrote:
How do the racers feel about using your Warsow accounts w/ racesow. It wouldn't change anything about gameplay or our stats, just means you auth and login with the warsow account here. I'm all for it!

Obvious F1, no argument against it.

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2017 Chasseur de bots