There are currently 42 players online.

Warsow

backgit repo?

Posted by
Post Scroll to bottom
fubertgg
(1 posts)

Hello!

Why is there no public git repo of the game? Warsow is entirely foss (code + assets), right?

Thanks for the cool game!

Greets

user490584

user490584
(221 posts)

Hey fubertgg!

Check out https://github.com/Qfusion

See you soon :]

Overactive

(263 posts)

AFAIK the licenses for some assets are still not clear. Only the engine is actually open source.

SiPlus

aka TriΔngel
(180 posts)

We had a private repository, but it has been shut down a few weeks or months ago. I have a 7.5 GB (or 3.2 GB if you `git checkout .` manually) backup of it though. Contains the history of Warsow since June 15th, 2013. Not sure if it will be okay to release it.
(updated 2016-10-16 14:13:30)

illwieckz
(3 posts)

I hope you are not the only one who have this backup, it's highly precious. :o

Vic

Your former Warsow overlord
(5775 posts)

AFAIK the licenses for some assets are still not clear.

Read license.txt, it pretty much says it all except the unforunate ommission of models_nate.pk3, for which the license is unclear indeed.

Why is there no public git repo of the game?

The code is out there and the rest is not suitable for being stored in a git repository, even less so in a public one. And, oh ye, forgot to mention, the game is NO longer being developed.
(updated 2016-10-17 14:49:31)

Keprohm
Traveler
(39 posts)

A free game has to have a public repository for being continued.
I think the code part of the game should be published on a repo and the rest in a downloadable "assets pack".

Many games did this separation between code and assets successfully (I'm thinking to Super Tux Kart right now but there are many others).

Warsow is a finished game in term of gameplay but many things are still to be polished/debugged. I'm thinking we should be asking for it to be officially shared on a public community working platform such as GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket or others.

I know many people like tweaking things here and there in the code, also on Warsow, and there are serious things to do.

In the idea of seeing one day 2.2,

Cheers :D

user490584

user490584
(221 posts)

Hey Keprohm! :D

user490584 wrote:
Hey fubertgg!

Check out https://github.com/Qfusion

See you soon :]

illwieckz
(3 posts)

Vic wrote:
The code is out there and the rest is not suitable for being stored in a git repository

Well, no one says it would be only one repository. Yes, guys at Xonotic do that with their asset pack since GitLab allows huge repositories, but even if they do I don't think it's the better thing to do. The first reason to not doing one repository to store them all is git not allowing to clone a part of a repository, but it's not a problem because no one said it must be only one asset repository to track them all.

It's easy to create a place for assets repositories and create a repository per texture package, per map, a repositories for the models (can be splitted between player models, weapons and buildables repositories for example), a sound repositories for sounds etc. the way I do with community assets for another game.

What helps a a lot to create and manage assets repositories is to use well compressed files for asset source repository, like png files compressed with pngwlof-zopfli instead of huge tga files, flac for sounds, and let the build tool convert them for the appropriate and best in-game format at build time (that's why I develop my granger toolbox).

even less so in a public one

Is it because of the size and common limitations of public free git hosting or because of something else?

[Edit: The first reason to not doing]
(updated 2016-10-18 23:25:29)

Vic

(5775 posts)

What helps a a lot to create and manage assets repositories is to use well compressed files for asset source repository .. and let the build tool convert them

This was on my TODO list until I dropped out.

Is it because of the size and common limitations of public free git hosting or because of something else?

Well, that and the fact that git is by no means a perfect or even a decent way to store your binary assets (read more here). Besides, historically we never wanted WIP versions of the game floating around so we kept our data repository private.

pwalter
(2 posts)

SiPlus, it would be awesome if you or someone else could publish the 7.5 GB repo on github. I think it would be fine if it's huge. That would at least enable people to start working on it again, because as of right now, there's nowhere to pick up the work. Thanks!

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4757 posts)

Vic

(5775 posts)

Not to mention the fact that github repo's are limited to 1GB.

pwalter
(2 posts)

Thanks for the reply. According to github documentation at https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/ they don't have any disk quotas, they just _suggest_ to keep the repository under 1GB. Have you actually tried putting it there?

goochie

12vids.com
(4805 posts)

pwalter wrote:
Thanks for the reply. According to github documentation at https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/ they don't have any disk quotas, they just _suggest_ to keep the repository under 1GB. Have you actually tried putting it there?
If your repository exceeds 1GB, you might receive a polite email from GitHub Support requesting that you reduce the size of the repository to bring it back down.

crizis

Mad Hatter
(4757 posts)

Have you actually tried putting it there?

No, and won't.

Everything that's under open license is included with the game and the SDK already.

goochie

12vids.com
(4805 posts)

here are the map sources if you cba to decompile basewsw maps

Vic

(5775 posts)

Scroll to top

RSSRSSRSSRSS

Copyright © 2017 Chasseur de bots

Warsow in social media